NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

February 5th Snow Map / Storm Discussion 2.0 (Ice Storm)

+22
Fededle22
bloc1357
dolphins222
Dtone
SoulSingMG
skinsfan1177
CPcantmeasuresnow
algae888
nutleyblizzard
RJB8525
meeka312
pdubz
sroc4
oldtimer
aiannone
amugs
jmanley32
sabamfa
tigernumba1
NjWeatherGuy
SNOW MAN
Frank_Wx
26 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

February 5th Snow Map / Storm Discussion 2.0 (Ice Storm) Empty February 5th Snow Map / Storm Discussion 2.0 (Ice Storm)

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:08 am

February 5th Snow Map / Storm Discussion 2.0 (Ice Storm) 1781921_682948355090260_1801137909_n

The above is my 1st call snow map with a final map tomorrow, if necessary. An area of low pressure will cut into western PA Tuesday night and run into a High Pressure system to the north, which will force the storm to transfer its energy to the coast and develop a secondary low. With the initial storm cutting, mid levels in the atmosphere will warm and areas from NYC to Philly will likely see mainly a rain event.
However, areas in the light blue located in NNJ, NYC, west LI, and east-central PA could also see up to .50-.75 of accretion of ice on top of the snow that may fall before switching over to rain. This makes for a very sloppy and dangerous winter storm. The area in purple will also see ice accretion, but the biggest difference with that area is it will see more snow and the changeover to rain will be a very slow process.

You can see where GFS places the ice threat

February 5th Snow Map / Storm Discussion 2.0 (Ice Storm) Gfs_ic10

Areas north of NYC should cash in on some pretty good snowfall as temperatures remain below freezing. Maybe some sleet mixed in at times, but mainly snow.

Those are my initial thoughts and we'll see how this pans out.

Winter storm watches by the NWS have been issued for our area (they are thinking 2-4 inches of snow instead of 1-3 inches)

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* LOCATIONS...NEW YORK CITY...NASSAU COUNTY AND SOUTHERN PORTIONS
OF NORTHEASTERN NEW JERSEY.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW TODAY. SNOW AND FREEZING RAIN TUESDAY
NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 5 TO 8 INCHES TODAY. 2 TO 4
INCHES OF SNOW...ALONG WITH ICE ACCRETION OF A TENTH TO QUARTER
OF AN INCH OF ICE...TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES TODAY.

* TIMING...A MIX OF LIGHT RAIN AND SNOW WILL CHANGE QUICKLY TO ALL
SNOW AROUND DAYBREAK THIS MORNING. THE SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT
TIMES...IN PARTICULAR DURING THE MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON
HOURS TODAY. SNOW WILL DEVELOP TUESDAY NIGHT AND MIX WITH AND
CHANGE TO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADWAYS WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS TRAVEL TODAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER
CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW
ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN
EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...

AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

I will issue timing and a final snow map tomorrow (if necessary).

Last edited by Frank_Wx on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:48 pm; edited 3 times in total

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

February 5th Snow Map / Storm Discussion 2.0 (Ice Storm) Empty Re: February 5th Snow Map / Storm Discussion 2.0 (Ice Storm)

Post by SNOW MAN Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:15 am

Frank there's no GFS map on your post.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

February 5th Snow Map / Storm Discussion 2.0 (Ice Storm) Empty Re: February 5th Snow Map / Storm Discussion 2.0 (Ice Storm)

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:20 am

How about now?

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:22 am

Frank_Wx wrote:How about now?

Looks like a rough Wednesday morning commute north of 95, ugh. To be honest I just want this one to get out of the way as fast as possible so we can track the one lurking around the weekend.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:25 am

Yes now it is. Thanks.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by tigernumba1 Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:26 am

Any chance long island sees more snow? Maybe the storm we are currently having can bring some colder air behind it.
tigernumba1
tigernumba1

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:46 am

I revised to say .50-.75 inches of ice possible, but .25 inches of ice looks almost definite at this point. This could be really bad for interior NJ and eastern PA

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by sabamfa Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:52 am

Is the morning commute going to be a mess? I went to work today thinking I might need to save the personal day to take off wednesday....thoughts? Think schools will be open?

sabamfa
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:05 am

Frank what about southern wc? Will freezing rain be a serious issue in my area and accumulate as much as NWS says up to or over 0.5, will we be dealing with widespread power outages, this is enough ice on top of heavy wet snowe to tear at least branches down I would think? And it sounds like Wed morning will be downright impossible driving.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:06 am

sabamfa wrote:Is the morning commute going to be a mess? I went to work today thinking I might need to save the personal day to take off wednesday....thoughts? Think schools will be open?

Saba - school hear ice and they panic - they will be closed my super even gave us the heads up in a personal message since we used all of our emergency school closing days so far. We will be off Wed and if this storm for next week comes to fruition then we could see a good 2-3 days off, seriously.

Mugs

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:08 am

Frank BTW NWS for lower hudson vally IE southern WC, says 5-10 inches of snoe before changover to ice. SO do you think your map may change to move snow totals a bit further south if that trend continues colder?
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:08 am

Mugs, do you think i will get off wednesday or no?

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:15 am

Guys, the dynamics and overall development of this storm is difficult to pinpoint. If cold temperatures hold on just a little longer than how the models have it, it severely alters the way this plays out. Very thread the needle storm. I'll make a final map with updated amounts INCLUDING ICE amounts tomorrow. To the best of my ability at least. For now, major snow north of NYC, mainly light to moderate in and around the city with big ice possible. All you need to know at this point

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:18 am

Mets2695 wrote:Mugs, do you think i will get off wednesday or no?

Alex that is a tough call - if it is snowing and the forecast is for ice for the morning until say 11AM then it is a lock for being off - if the forecast is to go over to rain by say 9AM then you are in with a delay but I do not know how your system out there operates. Will know more tonight and definitely tom - I am on the cold trend for this storm and hoping for you my man!

Hey when you go to Lyndon State (this is where you are going??) you will have your own blog and may put us to shame on this forum one day after school and won't be asking a weather weenie hobbyist like me if school's will be closing in a few years but don't forget us or your roots for that matter!!

Have a good day.

Mugs

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:20 am

Frank_Wx wrote:Guys, the dynamics and overall development of this storm is difficult to pinpoint. If cold temperatures hold on just a little longer than how the models have it, it severely alters the way this plays out. Very thread the needle storm. I'll make a final map with updated amounts INCLUDING ICE amounts tomorrow. To the best of my ability at least. For now, major snow north of NYC, mainly light to moderate in and around the city with big ice possible. All you need to know at this point

Frank this is going to be a tough one to call IMHO and you are doing a great job with this so far. The CAD is never modeled properly and is  the wildcard in this storm the way I see it. Guys on the USA bd or more balls to the walls than me on this one imagine that!!

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by sabamfa Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:22 am

Mugs - Thanks! I work for a non-profit which helps those with disabilities. Our clients rely on several government transport agencies to get here, so when those close and the schools close, we typically close too. =) Except today. Haha.

sabamfa
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:22 am

And basically rain for suffork county Frank

oldtimer
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:27 am

amugs wrote:

Alex that is a tough call - if it is snowing and the forecast is for ice for the morning until say 11AM then it is a lock for being off - if the forecast is to go over to rain by say 9AM then you are in with a delay but I do not know how your system out there operates. Will know more tonight and definitely tom - I am on the cold trend for this storm and hoping for you my man!

Hey when you go to Lyndon State (this is where you are going??) you will have your own blog and may put us to shame on this forum one day after school and won't be asking a weather weenie hobbyist like me if school's will be closing in a few years but don't forget us or your roots for that matter!!

Have a good day.

Mugs

I will be going there! I'll always be on this forum and won't forget my roots lol!

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:29 am

Here is the RGEM - SNOW and CP are you looking this guys - the hot hand right now in winter storms - Snow you get plastered with Snow and CP you'll get yours to by this with in its range

February 5th Snow Map / Storm Discussion 2.0 (Ice Storm) SN_036-048_0000

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:31 am

Mets2695 wrote:
amugs wrote:

Have a good day.

Mugs

I will be going there! I'll always be on this forum and won't forget my roots lol!

Excellent your parents raised you right - now if you don't I will get in my Altima and take a ride hunt you down with my counterparts Dino and Anthony and give you one to straighten you out - you got it kid! HAHAHAHA.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:31 am

amugs wrote:Here is the RGEM - SNOW and CP are you looking this guys - the hot hand right now in winter storms - Snow you get plastered with Snow and CP you'll get yours to by this with in its range

That looks a bit bullish, has a decent amount of snow in my neck of the woods which I am not currently expecting.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:34 am

NjWeatherGuy wrote:
amugs wrote:Here is the RGEM - SNOW and CP are you looking this guys - the hot hand right now in winter storms - Snow you get plastered with Snow and CP you'll get yours to by this with in its range

That looks a bit bullish, has a decent amount of snow in my neck of the woods which I am not currently expecting.
It is going with the a colder solution IMO have not look at soundings or temp profiles yet but this would be my guess - it has a bullish bias but it also has been excellent in this range this winter with our storms.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:39 am

Mugs I'm looking and it sure looks good, but we'll see if it works out. I hope everything falls into place it would be nice to catch up to the rest of you guys.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:43 am

GFS is coming in VERY COLD!

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:43 am

Coldest run yet.
February 5th Snow Map / Storm Discussion 2.0 (Ice Storm) Gfs_pr3_slp_t850_east_17

February 5th Snow Map / Storm Discussion 2.0 (Ice Storm) Gfs_pr3_slp_t850_east_18

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum