NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 2.0

+52
WeatherBob
essexcountypete
NjWeatherGuy
moleson
lisalamb
lglickman1
GreyBeard
bloc1357
crippo84
SnowForest
Carter bk
jake732
sabamfa
SENJsnowman
MattyICE
SoulSingMG
hyde345
billg315
cooladi
Wheezer
Radz
skinsfan1177
Dunnzoo
Scullybutcher
Dtone
jimv45
CPcantmeasuresnow
RJB8525
Mathgod55
EnyapWeather
Quietace
jwalsh
brownie
Vinnydula
Grselig
mikeypizano
HectorO
gigs68
Math23x7
jmanley32
track17
rb924119
Frank_Wx
frank 638
sroc4
aiannone
weatherwatchermom
algae888
dkodgis
docstox12
amugs
nutleyblizzard
56 posters

Page 2 of 41 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 41  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by algae888 Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:37 pm

track  17 I'm responding to your post from the tropical page. what's really sad, irresponsible and down right insane is that people want what is happening in texas to happen in their backyard!!! and don't give me the ol you wish for 2" feet of snow crap. we as a society can handle almost any amount of snow. what we can't handle is what is going on in texas now or sandy or katrina....

Last edited by algae888 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by track17 Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:40 pm

I agree with you I don't want this anywhere near me at the jersey shore. I actually get pissed at that thinking

track17

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:50 pm

You know if you like tornadoes Oklahoma is a good place to live hurricanes the Gulf Coast and winter storms the Northeast baby with that big beautiful warm body of water call the Atlantic Ocean and the Appalachian Mountains to our West enhancing lift that is why when I retire I am moving North maybe near Doc and CP and buy a big seated snowblower to plow my feet of snow Very Happy
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:56 pm

algae888 wrote:track  17 I'm responding to your post from the tropical page. what's really sad, irresponsible and down right insane is that people want what is happening in texas to happen in their backyard!!! and don't give me the ol you wish for 2" feet of snow crap. we as a society can handle almost any amount of snow. what we can't handle is what is going on in texas now or sandy or katrina....
Al I dunno who you are talking about but I NEVER said i wanted a storm like texas, hell no,  a nice minimal TS fine, but what they are going through I would never wish on us.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:15 pm

Last year at this time, Hurricane Hermine looked to threaten the NYC region. Of course, it did not pan out as the models projected it would. However, despite all of that, I found Billg's post regarding excitement or weather events to be very informative. Of all the extreme weather events one could experience (Blizzard, Tornado, Hurricane, etc.), I would much rather experience the Blizzard for reasons Billg wrote:

This is not a criticism or judgment of anyone else, but just my personal feeling and my personal concerns/fears. While I will occasionally pull for us to get buried under a snowstorm, I will never wish for a strong hurricane or tropical system to make a direct hit on us. Snowstorms are fun to track, amazing to watch, leave a beautiful landscape of snow cover, and are fun for kids (and some adults) to play in. While there are certainly dangers with any storm, and snowstorms can result in some damage and fatalities, they are far more isolated and less frequent with snowstorms than tropical systems. I certainly never sit in my house during a snowstorm worrying about it caving in on me, or flooding. While tropical systems are fun to track, and an awesome display of nature, they are undeniably deadly and destructive. They almost always result in widespread damage if not total destruction, and deaths in many cases. I do not want my friends' new house at the shore flattened or flooded beyond repair; I don't want entire blocks of housing in shore towns wiped off the map; I do not want my roof blown off, a tree crashing through my bedroom, or my basement flooded -- nor any of those things for any of my neighbors or friends; I do not want people to be without power for days or weeks at a time. I remember during Sandy hearing the winds whipping outside, hearing the roof ripping off my apartment building, watching the normally sturdy utility poles swaying and thinking "man, these are 70 mph winds, I can't imagine how scary it would be if they were 100 mph or 120 mph." So, while people are free to wish for whatever they want, I will continue to wish that this thing (and every other tropical system in the future) either goes out to sea, or if it does impact us, it does so as a significantly weakened extra-tropical low with just some moderate rain and wind. Just my personal preference.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:44 am

algae888 wrote:You know if you like tornadoes Oklahoma is a good place to live hurricanes the Gulf Coast and winter storms the Northeast baby with that big beautiful warm body of water call the Atlantic Ocean and the Appalachian Mountains to our West enhancing lift that is why when I retire I am moving North maybe near Doc and CP and buy a big seated snowblower to plow my feet of snow Very Happy

Al, would love to have you join me and CP up here in the Hudson Valley contingent.The elevation has made this MUCH better for snow than where I came from in Mahwah, just 25 miles away but 300 feet lower.The colder temps, about 5 degrees colder than Mahwah, lead to better ratios.We get the early season events.I remeber the Thanksgiving snow event where we got 9 inches here and Mahwah maybe a slushy 2 or 3.We are still close enough to the coast to get more snow in the "S and E" events of recent years.I remember an event where the guys from way up north had an inch or two and CP and I got around 10.There have been 70 inch total snow years up here, something I never saw in Mahwah save '95-'96.LOL, you'll need that seated snow blower friend up here!!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:02 am

Yes do come up to the valley but bring your checkbook too. Taxes are high but you probably have it worse where you are.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by gigs68 Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:40 am

Math23x7 wrote:Last year at this time, Hurricane Hermine looked to threaten the NYC region.  Of course, it did not pan out as the models projected it would.  However, despite all of that, I found Billg's post regarding excitement or weather events to be very informative.  Of all the extreme weather events one could experience (Blizzard, Tornado, Hurricane, etc.), I would much rather experience the Blizzard for reasons Billg wrote:

This is not a criticism or judgment of anyone else, but just my personal feeling and my personal concerns/fears. While I will occasionally pull for us to get buried under a snowstorm, I will never wish for a strong hurricane or tropical system to make a direct hit on us. Snowstorms are fun to track, amazing to watch, leave a beautiful landscape of snow cover, and are fun for kids (and some adults) to play in. While there are certainly dangers with any storm, and snowstorms can result in some damage and fatalities, they are far more isolated and less frequent with snowstorms than tropical systems. I certainly never sit in my house during a snowstorm worrying about it caving in on me, or flooding. While tropical systems are fun to track, and an awesome display of nature, they are undeniably deadly and destructive. They almost always result in widespread damage if not total destruction, and deaths in many cases. I do not want my friends' new house at the shore flattened or flooded beyond repair; I don't want entire blocks of housing in shore towns wiped off the map; I do not want my roof blown off, a tree crashing through my bedroom, or my basement flooded -- nor any of those things for any of my neighbors or friends; I do not want people to be without power for days or weeks at a time. I remember during Sandy hearing the winds whipping outside, hearing the roof ripping off my apartment building, watching the normally sturdy utility poles swaying and thinking "man, these are 70 mph winds, I can't imagine how scary it would be if they were 100 mph or 120 mph." So, while people are free to wish for whatever they want, I will continue to wish that this thing (and every other tropical system in the future) either goes out to sea, or if it does impact us, it does so as a significantly weakened extra-tropical low with just some moderate rain and wind. Just my personal preference.

Well said Math.  It blows my mind that people are somehow rooting for a tri-state landfall.  Have we not been watching what has happened in Texas during Harvey, Louisianna after Katrina, Florida after Andrew, tristate after Sandy.  Makes you wonder if those rooting for a landfall have families, houses etc.  These people lost everything they worked their whole lives for.  It's devastating and I don't want to see IRMA go anywhere except OTS.

That being said, all you guys do an awesome job of weather analysis. I tell all my friends and family to go to your website instead of watching the weather forecast on TV.

Last edited by gigs68 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
gigs68
gigs68

Back to top Go down

Post by track17 Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:57 am

Hey guys is anyone else having trouble with the view of the forum. For some reason it is not showing me page numbers it is forcing me to scroll to the next page. Which is tough when there is 15 pages. I need to be able to click to the last page

track17

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:27 am

gigs68 wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:Last year at this time, Hurricane Hermine looked to threaten the NYC region.  Of course, it did not pan out as the models projected it would.  However, despite all of that, I found Billg's post regarding excitement or weather events to be very informative.  Of all the extreme weather events one could experience (Blizzard, Tornado, Hurricane, etc.), I would much rather experience the Blizzard for reasons Billg wrote:

Well said Math.  It blows my mind that people are somehow rooting for a tri-state landfall.  Have we not been watching what has happened in Texas during Harvey, Louisianna after Katrina, Florida after Andrew, tristate after Sandy.  Makes you wonder if those rooting for a landfall have families, houses etc.  These people lost everything they worked their whole lives for.  It's devastating and I don't want to see IRMA go anywhere except OTS.

I agree 100% with you and Math on this.We own our own home and my 96 year old Mom in the Fort Lee Nj area has her own home too.I want this to go OTS myself.However, I think members are just excited about this possible storm from a weather observation standpoint.I have been a member here a long time and the people here are all wonderful and I know that nobody would want any harm to come to others property or family.This event is causing excitement from a meteorological point of view like we have when a huge winter snowstorm is modeled a week or so out.Well, that's just MHO anyway.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by gigs68 Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:01 am

docstox12 wrote:
gigs68 wrote:

I agree 100% with you and Math on this.We own our own home and my 96 year old Mom in the Fort Lee Nj area has her own home too.I want this to go OTS myself.However, I think members are just excited about this possible storm from a weather observation standpoint.I have been a member here a long time and the people here are all wonderful and I know that nobody would want any harm to come to others property or family.This event is causing excitement from a meteorological point of view like we have when a huge winter snowstorm is modeled a week or so out.Well, that's just MHO anyway.

Thanks Doc I respect that. You guys are awesome and hurricanes and their power are exciting but unfortunately destructive. It's a very tough balance. Just getting very concerned about this storm
gigs68
gigs68

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:30 am

Track I have not had any issues. Make sure you are signed in. Even though I have the automatically sign in box clicked it boots me out when I go to the site and I have to sign back in. Not sure why. When this happens if I am not paying attention the same thing happens to me.

As far as Mikeys post I have this internal conflict within me. Like Doc says the meteorological side of it is just amazing, but in reality as a father, husband, home owner, small business owner, and friend/family member to many a storm as modeled by the GFS would be devastating and I don't want that to happen plain and simple. The logical part of my mind says I am not in control of the situation, so if the worst case happens I will marvel at it, but I will be make sure that my friends and family are appropriately prepared.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:10 am

sroc4 wrote:Track I have not had any issues.  Make sure you are signed in.  Even though I have the automatically sign in box clicked it boots me out when I go to the site and I have to sign back in.  Not sure why.  When this happens if I am not paying attention the same thing happens to me.  

As far as Mikeys post I have this internal conflict within me.  Like Doc says the meteorological side of it is just amazing, but in reality as a father, husband, home owner, small business owner, and friend/family member to many a storm as modeled by the GFS would be devastating and I don't want that to happen plain and simple.  The logical part of my mind says I am not in control of the situation, so if the worst case happens I will marvel at it, but I will be make sure that my friends and family are appropriately prepared.  
agree sroc it's from a live of weather's extremez. I have a wife and child and wish no harm on anyone but in the end we can't wish it to come or go. I will too deal if she comes and if not onto tracking something else. I personally am only concerned about wind in my area. Al and I are pretty much next door so he knows flooding isn't a issue where I am but trust me I feel for those at the shore. Syo also makes sense in saying if u live on the shore u are taking a gamble. I'd never live right by the water personally.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:20 am

gigs68 wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
gigs68 wrote:

Thanks Doc I respect that. You guys are awesome and hurricanes and their power are exciting but unfortunately destructive.  It's a very tough balance.  Just getting very concerned about this storm

I am also very concerned gigs.Having been through Sandy with 70 plus MPH winds ripping through 100 foot tall old oak trees on my property, being scared s__tless in my basemnt riding it out and then suffering through 8 days with no power, there is NO WAY I want this to hit us.Let's see what happens as the week progresses and hope for the best.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:37 pm

I remember those winds. My drain pipes from around the house (the rain gutter ones 12 inches deep) had water coming out of the end of the branch I cut open like it was shooting out of a firetruck hose. I had to cut the line in one part because the ground in the back was heaving like a waterbed mattress. Never saw anything like it. I was outside quick digging a trench to keep downhill water away from a foundation wall. The stream jumped the road and washed the road out. The water just lifted the under road culvert pipe up and away. We never lost power but we did lose some of the roof. Ice guard and felt kept the water out. Heluva thing. Trees were almost bending over 15 seconds at a time. That was enough for me
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:22 pm

So I have heard from people that they have been unable to use pools because of how cool it's been. My advice to them, open the backyard pools for Christmastime. I mean, given the past few years, it could for all we know blowtorch then. I mean the last three years in late December, we had temperatures will above average. You would have NEEDED a pool in 2015 on Christmas Eve to cool off, am I right. With a LOW temperature of 63 that day (normal low for June 14th), that would certainly be the case Rolling Eyes

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:25 pm

This angers me beyond belief really! I highly doubt ventrice said Irma will become a super typhoon with winds over 180mph, get this crap off the internet!!!

http://sonsoflibertymedia.com/category-6-hurricane-irma-becomes-strongest-hurricane-history-wipe-entire-cities-off-map/
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:27 am

Here is my impression of Hurricane Irma:

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 2 How-ma10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:16 am

I can not believe the number of people the number of people the number of people who are using Irma as an excuse for global warming debates and poor attempts at political banter. I guess it's easy to be more concerned with an agenda when the closest you'll come to being affected by a disaster is your Twitter feed being full of posts about how terrible it's going to be.

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:52 pm

It will take expert facts and lots of data collection plus validation of data to get the skinny. Now taking a completely different direction,

https://www.windy.com/?61.606,-43.945,3 <--is yet another site for eye candy and such.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:57 pm

Here's what could happen: with all the preparations underway in Florida and everyone hunkered down and all businesses closed, Irma will go out to sea. Then, Jose will loop and strengthen into a Cat 5 and head towards Florida. Everyone, including weenies, will say Jose's threat is full of bologna and will continue as normal. Then Jose will wipe Miami off the coast from a slow moving storm.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:20 pm

https://www.space.com/38083-giant-sunspot-unleashes-2-more-solar-flares.html
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:33 am

Check this out, wow...Irma registering on earthquake seisometers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2017/09/07/hurricane-irma-so-strong-its-registering-devices-designed-detect-earthquakes/642665001/
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:35 am

Math23x7 wrote:Here's what could happen: with all the preparations underway in Florida and everyone hunkered down and all businesses closed, Irma will go out to sea. Then, Jose will loop and strengthen into a Cat 5 and head towards Florida. Everyone, including weenies, will say Jose's threat is full of bologna and will continue as normal. Then Jose will wipe Miami off the coast from a slow moving storm.
OR, and probably just as wild as your idea, IRMA pulls the 00z NAm and slams the area here meanwhile florida can breathes a sigh of relief while no one is prepared up here and mass panic breaks out as everyone heads to FL for a vacation.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:36 am

by syosnow94 Today at 9:34 am

jmanley32 wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:
mikeypie24 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:
Its def shifted back east a bit more offshore. Doubt it heads up to us but we will see.

Nice first post 2 posts up. You're obviously uneducated when it comes to weather. A cat5 would never happen up here. It would weaken significantly by the time it got here. Would it cause damage regardless SURE. But as weather junkies we live for this kind of stuff. In the meantime I would argue that Frank and others on here have done more to help people in Irma's path protect life and property than your little rant ever did. Go back to trolling unless you're going to be usefull please. Wink
syo not sure what in the world you are refer to u know I'm not post for first time I'm not sure what you are talking about but u def got me angry with this post. I think everyone here especially frank who is giving iyby advice is amazing. Keep up the good work guys if I'm causing problems I'll just stay wuiet but I honestly do not remember ranting about anything.
Not you Jman Cmon. The other guy who quoted you.

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:46 am

My apologies for the post in the Irma thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:22 am

No need for apologies. We are all passionate about the weather.

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down