NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing thread

+5
nofoboater
sroc4
Frank_Wx
Dunnzoo
docstox12
9 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Fishing thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Fishing thread

Post by amugs Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Zoo,

My oak trees are producing acorns like crazy - they sound like rocks  hitting my car and screened in porch metal roof.  

MN is getting ready?

amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:14 pm

Dunnzoo wrote:
docstox12 wrote:Sounds great and I hope you have a great day when you go.

Did some freshwater at Shephard Lake, Ringwood NJ today.Just got a 12 inch largemouth.1/2 the trees up there have changed color already.Seems like this season is a month ahead of schedule.Also, I'm being bombarded and up to my ankles in acorns on my property, just like in 2009.That should get Forstner going when I make my upcoming snowtotal forecast this winter,LOL!
I was going to check in with you on the acorns! My tree is not producing too many...was wondering what was up! I like your tree better lol
Dunz, I've been living in my house 33 years with huge oak trees all around.The two in the front I think are Red Oaks and they are the ones I use when I make a winter prediction.There is another variety in my back yard producing nothing.Most varities of oaks are dropping acorns very heavily this year.I know from reading what Forstner, a horticulturist,had said.He feels you cannot make any predictions with acorns as they drop off every two years or so.Still, I have had good luck with figuring the amount of snow each winter using them as a gauge.

docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:16 pm

amugs wrote:Zoo,

My oak trees are producing acorns like crazy - they sound like rocks  hitting my car and screened in porch metal roof.  

MN is getting ready?
Same here.They are dropping like crazy.I went fishing today and heard them dropping in the woods all around as well.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:06 am

sroc4 wrote:
nofoboater wrote:We have a place down on the Jersey Shore but I don't think I'll get down there this fall.
Yes, blues love to corner bunker and chum them to pieces. Several years ago, blues chased so many bunker into the rivers and coves out here that the O2 levels dropped and they were killed. Pretty wild stuff:

http://www2.timesreview.com/NR/stories/R050808_bunker_mw
That's really interesting. My pops btw is still at it. He has his 50th high school reunion this weekend over in Massepequa and him and a couple of his old HS buddies were out at Great Eastern off Montauk yesterday on a charter.  The bastard, just kidding I'm jealous, texted me a picture of a 40lb-er his friend caught while I was hard at work. Not sure what they were using though.
Good stuff, I heard they're killing out in Montauk, 40 lber is nice fish. Congrats to him. I'm guessing they used umbrella rigs?

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:10 am

Well, I sprung a leak in my waders and one of my batteries for my electric bass boat motor shorted out, so it's time to pack it in for the 2013 fishing season for me.I made a trip last Monday to Roscoe NY for trout but the Beaverkill was very low with these dry conditions and I only got a couple of small ones.Be back on this thread, God willing, in April 2014 when trout season opens.Good luck and tight lines for anybody still going out this year.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:21 am

Hey Stox, yes we're pulling the boat out this week as well. Our marina wants everyone out by October 30th. We didn't get to fish too much this season but anytime spent on the water fishing or otherwise is always a treat. I'm told that the Sound has some nice Bass on plugs and swimmers before sunrise. So I might try some surf casting over the next couple of weeks. I'll post if anything exciting happens.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Hey Nofo and Sroc, an expert saltwater buddy of mine gave me a great book about fishing to read in these doldrums with no fishing.The title is "The Big One" by David Kinney which describes the annual fishing tournament in the Fall up in Martha's Vineyard.Great stories on monster Stripers near 60 pounds being caught plus Blues,Albies and Bonita's.think you saltwater guys would get a kick out of it.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:32 pm

Excellent, I will check that out. Funny thing, I was just mentioning to a buddy how I really want to enter the weakfish tournament next spring, seems like I say it every year, haha!

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Yep, amazing how all the folks who fish start talking more about it as the winter drags on.Four months until trout season starts,LOL!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:07 am

Thought I'd resurrect this post although in the 20 years I have been actively fishing, I have never seen the lakes and streams frozen as solid as they are now.

About one month to trout season but that seems like a year away right now.I'll patiently wait and enjoy this possible snow event next week.Time to take out all the equipment, clean and oil it and take stock of lures and line for replacement.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:15 am

I was wondering how late in the season have you seen ice on the lakes and reservoirs? Does the cold effect the trout or are they automatically hungry on April 6th? (You don't have to answer the second part of that, just a wise ass comment haha)

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:36 pm

Nofo, I really can't remember any year since I started fishing actively in 1994.Maybe early March in 1994.

Most of those trout in the Ramapo River are stocked and they are all hungry,LOL.Depends on the day.You know, if they want to bite, you'll have fun.In my favorite spot I've been skunked or nailed 50 of them.Gotta spin the wheel of fortune that day, it's a crapshoot.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:30 pm

Just discovered this part of the forum, I love fishing and have a 20ft Tracker deep V with a 150hp motor 2011 model, its been good to me so far just got to wash it out after saltwater because its aluminum. Does great in fresh. I love all fishing but my favorite is Canada northern pike fishing. Unfortunately its expensive so I usually only do those trips once every few years. Will de winterize the boat very soon and take her up to lake hopatcong and start fishing in a few weeks hopefully.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:48 am

docstox12 wrote:Thought I'd resurrect this post although in the 20 years I have been actively fishing, I have never seen the lakes and streams frozen as solid as they are now.

About one month to trout season but that seems like a year away right now.I'll patiently wait and enjoy this possible snow event next week.Time to take out all the equipment, clean and oil it and take stock of lures and line for replacement.

Hey, doc, do you get the Record? Big article about sick trout at the hatchery that have to be destroyed...there will be some areas that will not be stocked this April, but I didn't see them mention the Ramapo....

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:01 pm

Hey, Janet, thanks for the heads up on this bad news from the hatchery at Pequest.I'll be checking on the NJ Fshing Website to see the Ramapo stocking schedule and if it's affected. That's one of the major NJ trout streams and I think it would get priority.We'll see.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:54 pm

NJ Anglers,trout season opens April 5th! Despite loss of over 100,000 trout at the Pequest Hatchery, there will be plenty of trout in the Ramapo River.Maybe I'll see you there in April! Tight lines!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Wow why were 100,000 trout lost?

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:19 am

They had some fungal infection caused by birds hanging around the breeding pens at the Pequest Hatchery near Hackettstown.They don't want to infect whatevers in the streams so they had to be euthanized humanely using CO2.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:37 pm

docstox12 wrote:NJ Anglers,trout season opens April 5th! Despite loss of over 100,000 trout at the Pequest Hatchery, there will be plenty of trout in the Ramapo River.Maybe I'll see you there in April! Tight lines!

Hey Doc, good luck at the Ramapo next week.
Can't even think about boating or fishing out here yet, too darn cold.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:42 pm

Thanks, Nofo.Yeah, I hear ya, I'll probably freeze them off out there but I've got to get a line in the water or I'll crack up.Just got new waders, stocking up tomorrow on lures and line at Davis Sports ( my local guy who have a 25% off sale every year late March).
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:59 pm

Hey Doc, did you get out for opening day for trout?

Did a few things to the boat over the weekend. Doesn't really need much, just some warm weather then we can get her in the water.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:33 pm

Glad to hear your boat is in good shape, Nofo.

I never go out on opening day, way to many hooks and lures flying around.Was going to give it a shot but am in the middle of some major house renovations and it looked like rain all day.River running high as well, not easy on my shaky arthritic knees.However, would like to give it a shot next Monday after the river calms down from this rain coming.Will let you know.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:00 am

I hear you Doc, good luck with the house and of course, good fishing!

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowlover76 Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:33 pm

I usually do most of my fishing either out in Orient Point at Plum Gut, or on the south shore over near Democrat Point.

Didn't really get all that much time in last year, hoping to start fishing again once Spring Turkey season is done after Memorial Day Weekend. I want to get a lot of fishing in before I head out to the Plains in August.

Snowlover76

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Mon May 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Hey Doc,

Have you been out fishing much?

We're not likely to enter the weakfish tournament this year (I say it every year, haha). But it's early because of the early Memorial Day. Part of the tournament includes largets fluke and largest striper. The fluke don't open until Friday night 5/16 and the tournament ends at 1pm Sunday. A little too short of a time span for my liking, so we'll likely nix it again. According to my sources, nothing but a bunch of sea robins in the canals and rivers. I saw some bunker and a couple skoolie bass caught by my dock, but nothing substantial yet. They have to be coming in soon.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon May 12, 2014 5:01 pm

Nofo, weather horrible for trout lately.Too much rain, rivers running high.Did manage to get out almost a month ago to the Ramapo River but got skunked in the same spot last year I got at least 30.Go figure.

Buying a new battery for my electric motor on the small bass boat and am targeting next Monday to register at Seven lakes.Going to be my last season with my beloved little bass boat, arthritic knees too shaky and unsteady and I'm always alone. My Fiancee and elderly Mom are in a panic but I promised this is the last season.Had 18 wonderful seasons and caught hundreds of fish , some really nice.Next season, shore fishing only unless I buddy up with a guy with a boat up here.

Good luck whatever you wind up doing.Don't know much about saltwater but figured everything would be a month late after that brutal winter.

Tight lines and LGM tonight.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Mon May 19, 2014 6:59 am

Hey Doc, I went down to my dock and casted for about an hour, nothing. Did the proverbial, "one last cast", and bang. 21" skoolie. Caught and released 3 shorts in a row on a small tin. Nothing to write home about but at least I wiped the dust of the reel.

I heard that the weakfish tournament was a bust. Too windy and not enough time. If I had the gumption, I would tell the powers that be to push the tournament back to the first weekend in June. Spring fishing out here for the past 10 years has been too fickle weather wise.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum